Welcome to my birdwatching blog. This blog will contain stories about my bird watching trips, interesting bird news and other tales that may or may not be bird related. I want to make it useful to the avid birder as well as those who may only have a passing interest in bird watching. I enjoy photographing bird life, common and rare through a spotting scope, not that they always sit still long enough for me. Being on the outskirts of North East London, my reports will not only cover my local patch of Redbridge/Waltham Forest, but also dip into deepest Essex, Suffolk, Kent and Norfolk.


Friday, 20 March 2015

Lynford Arboretum brightens up a dull day

Where I work, you get a day off on your birthday. Yippee!

My plans were all over the place. Should I go to Kent or Rainham again or somewhere else? The weather was looking dull as dishwater everywhere; there was no escape.

I opted for Norfolk, don’t know why really, the car just veered off up the M11 and that was that. I had been to Lynford Arboretum a few weeks ago as part of my weekend with my mate Ed and like it a lot. We only spent a hour or so there so this time I decided to do a whole day. Surely a Hawfinch would show for me this time?

My word it was dark. I thought the solar eclipse had arrived early in Norfolk as i adjusted the settings on my camera to the 'show me anything' mode.

Nuthatch looking like it’s just noticed there’s a gate.
A very popular place within the Arboretum is 'The Gate'. Now, gates aren’t that exciting except for the one to Buck House or even the one in Stargate which I have to say is a bit clever. No, this one is just a wooden gate. It is however a gate you can lean on and this is especially useful if you like taking pictures of birds just the other side of said gate.

There was a lot of activity. Coal Tits, Marsh Tits, Chaffinches pretending to be Bramblings, Brambling pretending to hide under the fallen leaves and mast, Great Tits, Blue Tits, Blackbirds, Nuthatches, Long-tailed Tits, Dunnocks, Robins (pause for breath) Siskins, a Wren, Great-spotted Woodpecker and a squirrel but no Hawfinch. I would have gladly swapped all these, well not the Brambling) for a Hawfinch but it wasn’t offered to me.

Siskin on my side of the gate. 




Brambling forgetting to hide


Nearly

Nice try.
I wandered down to the paddock but only a pair of Common Buzzards overhead and a Common Kestrel to see here. Oh, there was a flack of about 70 Siskins singing away and feeding up in a couple of alders.

Back at the car park, I bumped into the unmistakeable Frank Gibson who I see at Weeting Heath as he seems to run the show there. He said he was expecting the Stones back any day now, just need a warm front. Another visit soon then I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment