Digiscoping DIY Adaptor

Thought I would take this opportunity to explain and illustrate the way I digiscope. I have never bothered to invest in a purpose-made adaptor because I’m never sure which one would be best and I suppose I’m a bit stingy. Instead, I have experimented with different joining mechanisms which have include fruit juice bottle tops, paint roller tubes and plumbing joints.

Over the five or so years I have digiscoped, the results have been unpredictable. This has been caused by the light conditions, the mobility of the subject and invariably, the distances between my camera and the bird. probably worth noting here that I also tend to focus through the scope before attaching the camera.

The most successful adaptor for me has been the paint roller tube. I discovered if I strip off the furry bit, I’m left with a perfect basis for an adaptor. Depending on the camera lens width and the telescope eyepiece diameter, I wrap insulation tape inside the tube.

Measure the depth and width of the camera lens in normal mode, not zoom.
Cut a section off a paint roller and wrap it in insulation tape.

Fit snuggly over the eyepiece of the fieldscope.

And the other so that the camera fits easily but firmly up against the eyepiece.


I’m sure there are many better ways to make an adaptor but this is very cheap and very quick and easy to do. I have changed digital cameras about four times in five years so it pays to have a device that can be remade to suit the specification of the camera.

So, what are results like? We as I said at the beginning. I can get some very good images in my opinion although they are never going to be as good as the top SLR and 500mm lens combos that are becoming almost commonplace now in hides everywhere. Still, I will let you be the judge.


Corn Bunting, Elmley Marshes, Kent
Slavonian Grebe, Dungeness, Kent
Snow Bunting, Salthouse, Norfolk




Wigeon, Cornmill Meadows, Essex
Chaffinch, Titchwell, Norfolk


Goldfinch, Lee Valley, Herts


Tree Sparrow, Ouse Washes, Cambs
Green Heron, Hythe, Kent

Water Rail, Titchwell, Norfolk

Lesser Grey Shrike, Weybourne, Norfolk

Wheatear, Rainham Marshes, Essex

Purple Sandpiper, Ness Point, Suffolk








Comments

  1. Excellent article once again! I am looking forward for your next post.:)

    Digiscoping

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scotland day 6: Look out. Look up and look where you’re going!

Scotland Day 1: A few 'grouses' about the weather