Welcome to my birdwatching blog. This blog will contain stories about my bird watching trips, interesting bird news and other tales that may or may not be bird related. I want to make it useful to the avid birder as well as those who may only have a passing interest in bird watching. I enjoy photographing bird life, common and rare through a spotting scope, not that they always sit still long enough for me. Being on the outskirts of North East London, my reports will not only cover my local patch of Redbridge/Waltham Forest, but also dip into deepest Essex, Suffolk, Kent and Norfolk.


Wednesday, 16 October 2013

It’s official – I’m an idiot.

This week I have been left questioning my own commitment to getting out and getting the bird. Only a week or so ago, I was up a ladder working on house repairs, hoping to finish in time to do some good birdwatching. I stuck to the task of renovating the home and even managed a Mistle Thrush, a flyby of three Ring-necked Parakeets and a female sparrow hawk, all from the dizzy heights of my ladder. So I had collected enough Brownie Points to go somewhere exotic like Dungeness or Dunwich on the Sunday. Excellent prospect. However, when Sunday came, it was hammering with rain. There was a party of four Parrot Crossbills close to where I worked showing well but I ask you, in the rain??? No thanks. I did keep looking to the sky for improvement but when it came, it was too late to get there for daylight conditions.

Always tomorrow I thought.

So an early sortie to Gunners Park on Monday morning with clearing skies in the east making me think of biblical references and hoping for that beam of light to hit a small pine tree had me gripped. Everything would have been okay and this blog would have had some 'nice' pictures of these head-heavy beauties but I went looking in the wrong place. Doh! I stood with another birder looking at a few pine trees with nothing much in them. Certainly no Parrot Crossbills. There was a Ring Ouzel to make things sufferable and to be honest I wasn’t pissed off. I had made a decision yesterday and I had to accept it.

Back at work I quickly looked at the local website only to read the four Parrot Crossbills were still there. Well a lunchtime mercy dash back to the park was organised and I got there 30 minutes after the birds were last seen. I even realised I was yards from where the birds were seen in the morning and I couldn’t believe my ineptitude and laziness. I could have checked a bit harder in the morning but couldn’t be bothered. i’m bothered now I can tell you.

Yeah, you just missed 'em.
I have this vision of the four birds flying low over my car going in the opposite direction as I arrived at the car park. Oh well, maybe the Two-barred Crossbills in Norfolk in a week or so will be more sympathetic. Yeah right.

No comments:

Post a Comment