The F Word.

Famdabidozy.

Finally found the Wryneck at Fambridge. Phew.

All this week I have been on a quest ti see the Wryneck along the seawall at South Fambridge. Fact is, I have seen this species on a few occasions in the past but having such a enigmatic bird so close to work has motivated me to use my early spare time to seek out this unique bird. Call it a quest I suppose but some may call it a fixation.

Fair enough but the truth is, I have seen so many wonderful birds here and it would seem South Fambridge is a rather under-watched 'patch'. I mean it’s no RSPB reserve with hides and tempting sausage rolls along the way, but just a romantic section of countryside that snuggles up against a tranquil river estuary coupled with an expanse of arable farmland. But most of all, its the birdlife that really attracts. In some ways, it makes you think anything is possible.

For example, two relatively scare birds, the marsh harrier and the corn bunting; they’re there , you just have to be there to see them. And every time this week , there has been something new to see. Yellow wagtail one day and black-tailed godwit the next. Then nothing, silence. A sparrowhawk swoops through a line of hawthorn bushes and the silence then makes sense. A swarm of skylarks take flight under your footfall and it’s still an hour before you need to be in the office. How inspiring is that?

Black-tailed Godwit
My point is, of course I wanted to see the wryneck but not to the exclusion of everything else. I’m now a total fanatic for Fambridge. I will continue to scour the landscape, not for the oddity in ornithology but for the ordinary.

Oh yes, the wryneck. No photo from this trip but I have to thank the Southend Ornithological Group, namely Don Petrie for their/his guidance and to a complete stranger who on this evening made the shout for the wryneck and between us, ensured we established a positive ID and gave us both the opportunity to share a great moment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digiscoping DIY Adaptor

Scotland day 6: Look out. Look up and look where you’re going!

Scotland Day 1: A few 'grouses' about the weather